John Fisher School Chapel Consecration


On January the 24th,  fifty years after it was built, Archbishop Kevin MacDonald consecrated the Chapel of the John Fisher School.  The school was opened by the Diocese in 1935 and staffed by Diocesan Priests until fifteen years ago.  Fr Fawssett, who taught in the school for fifty years, was the last Priest on the teaching staff.  He finally retired two years ago.  The school has always had a chapel, during the war it was a converted army nissan hut, and an historic link with the past was made at the end of the ceremony, when Bishop Tripp, an old boy of the school, blessed a picture of John Fisher that used to hand in the old chapel.  Keith Ockenden, who has been Sacristan at the Chapel for fifty years also received a Papal Blessing in recognition of his service.

The Archbishop in his homily paid tribute to the school for providing forty seven Priests for the Diocese from its former students.  He said that Consecration was the dedication of the building for the service of God just as the students learn to dedicate their lives to the service of God through the Church.  The relics of St Edward the Confessor, King of England, St Thomas a Beckett and St Edmund, Archbishops of Canterbury, were placed in the altar.

The service was conducted before a full congregation  with the Mayor of Croydon, Councillor Millward, and the Director of the Diocesan Schools Commission, Dilys Wadman, in atterndance together with a full compliment of Staff, Students, Governors, and Old Boys .